There are many relatively simple home improvement projects that can add value and curb appeal to your home quickly, and without breaking the bank. Replacing your front entry door can do just this. It can enhance your homes look, improve security, plus you can choose a fresh and vibrant colour that will pop and get people’s attention.
Wood front entry doors once dominated the market. Today, there are multiple styles, materials and types of front entry doors to consider. Two of the most popular are fibreglass and steel entry doors.
“Steel and fiberglass entry doors have overcome their cheap images and now compete as equals with traditional wood doors. Steel doors no longer have that gray industrial look but fiberglass doors are where the door market has changed the most in recent years. Early fiberglass doors looked more like fiberglass boats or bathtubs than real wood doors. But all of that has changed in the last 10 years,” says Ray Jensen from DIY Network.
Here is a comparison to help you decide which front entry door option makes the most sense for your home:
Fiberglass front entry doors
This is a popular choice for today’s homeowners. Fibreglass doors have the same appearance of wood and commonly have a wood grain texture. Some you can’t even tell the difference. Plus, they are much more cost effective than traditional wood front entry doors.
Here are some of the advantages of choose a fibreglass front entry door:
- They are less prone to wear and tear when compared to steel doors
- They can be painted and stained
- They are virtually maintenance free
- They are ideal for all temperatures and seasons
- New designs are considered to be just as secure as steel doors
- They have a higher R value than wood doors
- They are available in many colours, finishes, and styles
- They can be expensive
- They can crack from impact
Steel front entry doors
Steel doors are very common. Some estimate they account for about half from the front entry door market. They are known for their security and being a relatively inexpensive front door option.
Here are some of the pros of steel entry doors:
- They are more affordable than other front door options
- They are relatively maintenance free
- They provide good security
- They are more energy efficient than traditional wood doors
- They can be painted to meet your colour preference
- They are not as resistant to weather as fibreglass or wood doors, especially in really cold weather
- They can dent and scratch relatively easily
- Rust could develop in they are not cared for properly
There are pros and cons to each front entry door type. It really comes down to where the door will be used, how effectively you care for it, and your budget for replacing your front entry door.